HER CHOICE – Alliance to Combat Child Marriage
Date: January 2, 2017
Child marriage is a widespread phenomenon which endangers the healthy development and wellbeing of girls and young women all over the world. Each year, 15 million girls get married before the age of 18. HER CHOICE aims to build child marriage-free communities where each girl is free to decide if, when and whom she marries. Where this will be HER CHOICE.
HER CHOICE is an alliance of four Netherlands-based organisations: Stichting Kinderpostzegels Nederland, The Hunger Project, International Child Development Initiatives (ICDI) and the University of Amsterdam.
These organisations combine their efforts with 27 local partner organisations to combat child marriage in eleven countries. The programme runs from January 2016 to December 2020 and is implemented in partnership with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands: Bangladesh, Benin, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Ghana, Mali, Nepal, Pakistan, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Uganda.
- Every day 39,000 girls get married
- In low- and middle-income countries one in three girls will marry before the age of 18
- One in nine girls will marry before their fifteenth birthday
- 90% of teenage pregnancies take place within marriage
- Complications during pregnancy and delivery are the second leading cause of death among 15 to 19-year-olds